Ocean

Ocean

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Pasta with Broccolini and Sausage

I came across a similar recipe on Pinterest, but it was very poorly written and the instructions were awful. So since I had to wing it so much and I tweaked to my own tastes, I didn't feel bad reblogging it as my own.

Broccolini is a wonderful thing. My dear husband hates broccoli. Despises it. So I have avoided broccolini as well, assuming it would be the same deal. Well, one day I decided to give it a try, and alas, he liked it! The broccoli flavor is there, but subdued. It almost has an asparagus taste. A great green and now a favorite.

This pasta dish is delicious. I really recommend using the orecchiette pasta if possible, but any short pasta will work. I finally found a package of orecchiette at Trader Joes, so that is what I used. I love it because the sausage and cheese really gets inside the divots and makes for a delicious bite.

If you use the orecchiette, a couple tips. Its a starchier pasta, which is great for using the pasta water to help create a creamy sauce. But along with that perk, comes an annoyance of REALLY wanting to stick together. So, make sure you use a LARGE pot with a LOT of salty water. Make sure its at a RAPID boil, and make sure to stir VIGOROUSLY for 1 minute after you add the pasta. I don't mean to yell at you, but pasta that gets stuck inside itself and doesn't fully cook as a result makes me gag.


Pasta with Broccolini and Sausage 

Ingredients:

3 tbsp olive oil
2 bunches broccolini, 1 inch trimmed off the ends and larger pieces sliced in half the long way.
1 lb sweet italian sausage (casings removed if applicable)
1 package short pasta, preferably orecchiette
6 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced.
6 sun dried tomatoes, patted dry (if in oil) and sliced thin
salt and pepper
1 tbsp fresh basil (optional)
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup shredded parmesan

Bring one large pot full of water to a boil. Add a good amount of salt (like salty ocean water, is how it should be)

Add the broccolini and boil for 2-3 minutes, Use tongs to remove them and plunge in ice water for 2-3 minutes.

Return water to a rapid boil and cook pasta as directed on package. RESERVE 3/4 cup pasta water (put the measuring cup in the strainer to remind yourself)

Meanwhile, add 3 tbsp olive oil to a large skillet on medium heat. Add and crumble the sausage. Cook until browned, stirring often. Use a slotted spoon to remove sausage. Turn to low

Add sliced garlic to pan with juices. (can add another tbsp olive oil if needed). Cook until golden brown. Take care not to burn. Add broccolini, sausage, sun dried tomatoes, basil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Once heated through, add pasta and pasta water. Toss well and check seasonings.

 Serve with shredded parm


No comments:

Post a Comment