Ocean

Ocean

Sunday, February 12, 2012

My FAMOUS Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie

No joke. Out of everything I have ever made for someone or out of any recipe I have ever given out, this one has gotten the most RAVE reviews. Its comfort food to the max. Its the first meal my husband asks for when he returns from a patrol.


*edit, I recently was asked to make this and add mushrooms. Oh mylanta....it was AMAZING! I highly recommend sautéing up a 8oz package in a little butter and adding it to the mix.


Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie:
~1 medium onion, diced
~2 garlic cloves, minced
~2 chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch squares.
~3 medium carrots, sliced into buttons (or sub 1-1.5 cups frozen carrots and peas)
~3 green onions, diced
~1 8oz package mushrooms (optional)
~Either: 3 russet potatoes, baked and cooled. OR 1/2 bag of frozen hash browns
~1 cup sour cream
~1 can cream of chicken soup (or 1 recipe from scratch)
~1.5 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded.
~Either: I box Pilsbury Pie Crust, OR 1 recipe double pie crust

Put the carrots in a small saucepan of water and boil until soft. (Skip if using frozen)
Put the onion and garlic in a deep skillet on medium heat. Cook until transparent. Add chicken. Cook until done. Set aside.
If using the mushrooms, sauté on medium in a little butter until softened and browned.

Grate the baked potatoes (no need to peel, it will do it itself)into a bowl. Add carrots, entire chicken skillet including the juices, sour cream, green onions, soup, and cheese. Mix well.

Preheat oven to 425. Put bottom crust in pie pan. Fill with filling.

Cover and pinch edges. Either prick or slice top to vent.



Cook 30 minutes or so. Until deep golden brown. Let sit 10-15 minutes. Cut and serve. 99% of the time, the first slice will totally fall apart and glob everywhere!



2 comments:

  1. i so want to try this for my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I love this recipe. I'm making it today to take to Larry, who's on duty. Halfway through I realize I don't have cream of chicken. I remember you had added mushrooms to it so I use cream of mushroom instead. It was amazing. We loved it. Might start doing it that way every other time or something like that ;)

    ReplyDelete