Ocean

Ocean

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Wine Braised Short Ribs with Mushrooms

Yesterday was the Husbands birthday! He is the hardest person to shop for, so I made him a crazy good meal.


Wine Braised Shortribs with Mushrooms


Adapted from Epicurious

~3 pounds beef short ribs (either bone-in or deboned. I prefer deboned)
~1 lb mushrooms of your choice. (I used white button, crimini, chanterelle, and portobello)
~1 large leek. Cleaned thoroughly, cut in half the long way, and sliced.
~1-2 large shallots
~6-8 smashed garlic cloves
~2 cups dry red wine (Merlot or Chardonnay Sauvignon. I used the latter)
~handful fresh Italian parsley
~1 14oz can diced tomatoes in juice (optional. I omitted *ahem forgot ahem* this time. I have made both ways though)


This can be made in a slow cooker on low all day or in a Dutch Oven in 3 or so hours


Coat each slab of short ribs with a good coat of coarse salt and pepper. Either in a skillet or Dutch Oven, brown all 4 sides of each slab very well
Once well browned, add the wine

Move the ribs around some to loosen all the yummy brown bits at the bottom.

Add leeks, garlic, and shallots to the liquid and shimmy the ribs around to get the veggies all over, under, and around the meat.

Top with the mushrooms and parsley (unless you use chanterelle mushrooms. Wait until the last hour or so to add or they will be tough)


Cook in a 275 oven for around 3 hours or so. Until meat is very very tender.

I like the sauce a little thicker. So I remove about 1 cup of the sauce, add a few tbsp of cornstarch to it, mix well, and add back to the pot and stir.

Finished meal:


I served with roasted garlic and brie mashed potatoes, crispy parmesan asparagus, and crusty bread.

Its a seriously impressive dinner, I promise

No comments:

Post a Comment