Ocean

Ocean

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Homemade Flour Tortillas

I made a vow to myself this year to not buy any bread products from the store. That means bread, pizza dough, pie crust, and even tortillas.

This recipe is easy and pretty fast. Only 4 ingredients. Its worth the time it takes to roll and cook them.

Give it a shot.


Flour Tortillas

12 8 inch tortillas

Ingredients:

2 3/4 cups flour
5 tbsp shortening (I use butter flavored)
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup almost hot water

Put the flour, shortening, and salt in a bowl. Use your fingers or a pastry blender to completely incorporate the shortening.

Add 1 cup of the water. Mix with your fingers until combined. Add more water if needed.

Put on a lightly floured surface and knead for 1 minute.

Divide into 12 pieces and cover for 30 minutes or so. This lets the dough rest and is easier to roll.


Dust the dough ball and rolling pin with flour and roll very thin (or lightly spray 2 pieces of parchment paper and roll the dough between them)


I roll my dough as I am cooking the tortillas.

Preheat a pan to medium.


Place a tortilla in the pan. It will puff up. Cook 60-90 seconds on each side. Adjust the heat if it browns too quickly. Do not over cook.




1 comment:

  1. I love this recipe and have used it many times. I always keep coming back to it.

    ReplyDelete