Ocean

Ocean

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

As much as my husband loves soup, he is not a broccoli fan. I love this soup. Its my all time favorite. So once he is away, I get to make my yummy soup and some crusty bread.


Broccoli Cheddar Soup

Ingredients:

1 small onion, diced
1 tbsp olive oil
5 tbsp butter, divided
2 large cloves of garlic, sliced
1/3rd cup flour
2 cups half and half
3 cups chicken stock (veggie optional)
1/2 cup dry white wine (optional, but highly recommended!)
1/2 cup carrot, cut into matchsticks
12 oz broccoli florets. (I used this, and chopped it smaller)
16 oz good quality sharp cheddar cheese, shredded. (I used Cabot Smooth and Sharp)


Put the olive oil, 1 tbsp butter, and the onion in a large stock pot (I used my dutch oven). Cook on medium until translucent and soft.

And the garlic and cook for a few minutes more.

Add the 4 tbsp butter. Once melted, add the flour and stir with a whisk. Stirring often, cook 3-4 minutes. (you are making a roux)

Add the half and half, stirring the whole time.

Add the chicken stock and wine

Salt and pepper.

Simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes.

Add the broccoli and carrots. Bring to boil, and then lower heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes.

After it has cooked, at this point you can scoop out about 1-2 cups of the soup and use a food processor or immersion blender to puree the rest and add back the reserved chunky soup. I didn't do it this time, but its your choice.

Add the cheese. Stir and serve!


No comments:

Post a Comment